Friday 17 March 2017

Mothers and Daughters - Mother's Day 26th March 2017 #3

 

The relationship between mother and daughter is like no other - it can be like two sisters, can be fraught with conflict, or can be somewhere in the middle ... my own mother was like my best friend to whom I could talk about anything and know that she would respond with merriment and teasing or with calm wisdom, depending on what she sensed was needed.  She very rarely got it wrong! She also insisted on her position as matriarch and even as a frail old lady of 96 years she could put me in my place with a word and a look.. and I would be a six year old again (much to my intense irritation at myself!)   

On Instagram I posed the question 'How would you spoil your Mum?'

My mother rejected Mother's Day as an American commercial racket - but appreciated being fussed over.  Gifts she wouldn't accept .... but a home made cake and tea all laid out on a trolley? That was different!

I've discovered a lovely shop on Etsy called QuirkyArtsHere - Kerry is a talented maker of all sorts of gifts using decoupage - and her answer to my question on Instagram was 'I'll be treating mine to one of my decoupaged 'all things tea related' tea caddies.'  

... and here is what she meant......



How cool is that!  A great gift for anyone who likes tea ... (she also makes a coffee lover's caddy!)

My old mum died a few years ago so I'll be treating my lovely daughter-in-law and my own daughter to something special that I will make .... 

... and in case you are stuck, there is still time to visit DunnCrafting for an intimate gift for a special mum - or grandmum

You will find these in the Wedding Favours section at DunnCrafting



The final word I give to Kahlil Gibran (author of The Prophet - a beautiful philosophical poem )

The mother is everything - she is our consolation in sorrow, our hope in misery, and our strength in weakness. She is the source of love, mercy, sympathy, and forgiveness. He who loses his mother loses a pure soul who blesses and guards him constantly

Here are the links to the two Etsy shops featured : -



Happy Mother's Day



No comments:

Post a Comment